Thursday 24 March 2011

Full wave bangs - first attempt - a good fringe day


Well, it has been a while since I last set my hair and so, as I could finally move my arms above my head yesterday, I thought I'd give a new fringe style a go.  My fringe has grown out to around 7 inches long now, perfect for a style called full wave bangs. (The word "bangs" for fringe always amuses me, does anyone know how it came into usage?).

This is a deceptively simple set and is best done on wet hair with a little setting lotion (I favour Motions foamy set for wet sets).  First you need to separate the fringe area into a rectangular section. You then need to roll three rows of standing pin curls.  Most diagrams show each row to consist of four pin curls but with my fine hair I could only manage three per row.

I tend to roll standing pin curls around something - a mascara tube usually works well, and just slide the curl off and pin at the base through the curl with a single bobby pin.  You could also use a very small barrelled curling iron, hotsticks or perm rods to make these curls.

The row at the back are rolled forwards, toward the face, the middle row and that closest to the face are rolled facing backwards, away from the face. (see diagram).  These backwards facing rolls help to form the curl and to bulk up the fringe giving it height.
 
 picture courtesy of www.sepiachord.com

When the set has dried (or cooled completely if using curling irons) you need to first brush out the curls upwards, preferably with a natural bristle brush.  It will look like a huge frizzy mess at this point, don't panic!  Brush through a few times and then place your hand under the hair, on your forehead, and start to brush the hair over the hand.  After a few brushes the wave will start to spring into place, as if by magic.  No, really.


 picture courtesy of www.sepiachord.com

When you are happy with the shape of the fringe just remove the underneath hand and use your fingers to hold the wave where you want it and then spray.  I always press the wave in again while the hair is slightly damp from the spray as this helps set it into place.





This is a versatile early 1940's fringe style for when your bangs are in the growing out phase and it looks good with either the rest of the hair curled and put back with combs, with side rolls, a snood or even with an updo.

Sadly the rest of my hair did not want to play ball today and turned into a frizz ball, ignore it, I think I set it too wet.  Look at the fringe and not the rest.  :-)

This was only my first attempt and I'm going to keep working on this until it is perfect.

21 comments:

  1. I wanna try that haaaaaair! Good work, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are always so very skilled with hair lady! I am envious.

    Looks good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice style. I have no fringe, but who knows, if I get 'bangs' I shall deffo try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god, my fringe looks a bit like that most mornings and I frantically straighten it! Hmm maybe I should embrace the natural curl, only it does tend to go into '2 horns' at the front if I let it grow too long. Which quite frankly is enough to scare the horses and terrorize small children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry meant to say it looks really lovely on you by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, I've always wondered how to do complicated fringes like this one! A x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fab :) My hair is far too long for this - for now! Le chop is imminent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute fringe! Oh, the never ending quest to perfect hair!...

    ReplyDelete
  9. holy cr@p that looks fantastic! bangs. bangs. I'm getting that thing where a word stops making sense when you keep saying it....BANGS! yaaahh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good work, lady. Makes me wanna cut my hair just to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks Fantasti-que! I’ve never tried doing it that way before…. Hmm, might have to have a go myself. T x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I'm impressed! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great just.it looks gorgeous.I'm trying to go mine out too and i'm getting sick of pinning to the side but they are still to short for a pin curl or rollers without haveing the tight poodle bang.I don't know where that word came from.lol.I feel silly saying fringe cuz i'm american.lol.I feel i need an english accent to say fringe.i just let hubby correct me since he is english.lol.Great job .xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=bangs

    ' "hair cut straight across the forehead," 1878 (sing.), Amer.Eng., 1870 of horses (bang-tail), perhaps from notion of abruptness (cf. bang off "immediately, without delay," though this expression is attested only from 1886). See bang. '

    I am American and for some reason this is the one word, out of all the divergences, that my Scottish boyfriend simply can't get over. It is a little silly-sounding, I admit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd never bothered looking at these sets before because my hair was too long but now that I had a fringe cut and am growing it out I may have to give it a go! Looks great.
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The term bangs is actually something you pretty much only hear in Canada or America. If you go by my grandma it means to cut straight across or "bang off" like a horses tail is a bang tail or a bang bob when it's cut straight across. I guess it's just popular speech here now, though, because I've never heard anyone in the U.S. use the term 'fringe' unless they were referring to the emo 'swoop' hairstyle.

    I remember in Washington we'd see horses with those types of tails in parades and as part of a team of grey horses called Highstep Bang Bang's, and it was referring to the way their tails were cut.

    I LOVE that style on you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW WOW WOW i am SO doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Lisa! i did this the other day (your instructions helped A LOT) and i loved it so much i put the like to it on my blog Victory Vintage!
    Thanks,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete