Thursday 28 February 2013

Mooning over you..



Just a quick update today to let you know about my latest discovery.  Yes, I’m a bit late to this party I admit but....Shellac nail polish is a miracle.

I’m not the most organised individual at the best of times and I am at pains to admit that I hate painting my nails – it’s a bloomin’ palaver that, quite frankly, I could live without. Still, a “polished” vintage look (that which I aspire to and always fall short of) needs a good manicure and so, three weeks ago, I took the plunge and decided to get shellac done.



It had been a long time coming but I was trepidatious, back in my younger days I’d flirted with council estate chic – stripey highlighted hair, sportswear and long acrylic nails with airbrush designs – and I remember well how thick, ugly and unmanageable acrylic nails are.  I don’t like that chubby nail look, on my long skinny fingers it makes me look like I have a fungal infection.  It doesn’t even look good on our Dita, though this is an old pic so I'm sure she has discovered shellac too by now!



So I put out feelers, and, after asking the wise vintage girls of Facebook, shellac seemed to be the best option.

My local salon, the always rammed Ria Beauty in Dalston offered this and so I quickly booked in for a manicure and shellac.

The process is fairly simple.  Your nails are shaped, very lightly buffed(the benefit of shellac is the nail surface is undamaged as opposed to any other treatments where it must be filed to create a keyed surface for the gel or acrylic to bond to) and then a base coat applied, then two coats of colour,then a top coat; each coat dried under a UV lamp between applications.  You come out of this with gloriously shiny,100% dry nails – no chance of smudging and they are considerably stronger yet still thinner than acrylic.  All good in my book.

The only problem I had was explaining to the girl painting my nails that I wanted the half moons left blank, I’m not sure they really understood what was needed and my 45 minute appointment became a two hour one as she painstakingly painted her first half moon manicure.  Still, it turned out beautifully and everyone there ended up taking photos of my hands afterwards so I am hoping to have started a little trend in my Eat end backwater *wink*

I've had the manicure on for three weeks now and not a chip,it is still shiny.  The only issue is that it is starting to grow out, as I have unusually fast growing hair and nails, but I’m not too worried. I’ll just paint some normal varnish over the top!

This is definitely something I plan to keep doing.  I’ll be heading back next weekend for a new do,perhaps a dark red this time – they have a lovely Rouge Noir-esque colour called “Fedora” that I’d like to try.  I’m even considering buying the equipment myself to save costs, though at £20 a month my local salon is hardly expensive.

So, here you go – what do you think?





Immediately after the appointment


One week later


Three weeks later

12 comments:

  1. I've been trying to find somewhere in Brighton to get some half moons done with Shellac, but I've yet to find one that isn't around £35. That's a bit too pricey in my books, but if you would really reccomend it, I'll persevere and find somewhere else. I'm so impressed at how they look after three weeks. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so worth it, really, not a chip yet! I feel so much more put together now.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! I'm not sure what the difference between shellac and gel polish is (or maybe there isn't a difference), but I started doing my own gel manicures last summer and I haven't looked back. The idea of being able to have great-looking nails for nearly 2 weeks at a stretch is amazing. Plus I swear my nails are healthier since I don't have to remove the polish nearly as often as I used to.

    The only thing I haven't tried to tackle yet is if I can swing a half moon with it. I think I would have to freehand it (lest the reinforcement label I used to use as an edge became one with the polish under the lamp), and I am far too clutzy for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you would take the labels off before going under the lamp, the polish is VERY thick so I doubt it would run. I'd certainly try that anyway. Or, do a nude shellac base and use real varnish on top, it lasts longer on the shellac I've heard.

      Delete
  3. Wow! They look so pretty! Thank you for the tip. I have the ugliest natural nails ever and am not a fan of typical acrylics. Maybe I'll try shellac!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go, it is definitely worth a try

      Delete
  4. I wear Shellac all the time, it is a miracle, my nails are even stronger for it! I would NEVER go back to au naturale or cheap acrylic now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I'm trying that next nail appointment!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Shellac done regularly but because my nails still peel, underneath it, it only lasts two weeks, max, with me. I'm going for half-moons next time and my nail lady assures me she can do it. Apparently she's a dab hand at free-hand French tips so we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been getting Shellac for the past two years - cos i'm lazy! I've been to nervous to ask for half moons, but must give it a go now :).

    BTW - check out Malaga Wine, its a great 30's bad girl colour :) my personal fav

    ReplyDelete