Thursday 17 April 2014

Pantone colour of the year - Radiant Orchid - a shopping review



It's that time again, Pantone colour of the year.  This year is a shade from the purple family - not my favourite colour at all.  Purple, for me, reminds me of my mother, the 1970s and hippiness. 

Still, it's a great colour visually, and has been highly prized since the Phoenicians first squashed a sea snail in 1570 BC.  in fact, due to it's rarity and consequent expense it has long been seen as the colour of royalty.

The purple Pantone have chosen for 2014 is more on the violet side, a bluer tone than the grand purple of the Catholic church and is named "Radiant Orchid."

In fact Leatrice Eismann, of Pantone states Radiant Orchid "encourages expanded creativity and originality" and that " the hue 'radiates on the skin, producing a healthy glow when worn by both men and women.'

Well, there you go then!


So, as I did last year for Emerald Green, I decided to take a little jaunt through the web for some vintage and VI listings that fit the colour palette.

The first place to look is the glorious Dorothea's Closet website, where the lovely owner has herself
created a palette based on Radiant Orchid.  Sadly I couldn't steal the pics for the blog but do take a look.

The wonderful Rosie Alia has some beautiful orchid hair clips in her Etsy store, and if I'm not much mistaken is also making some Japanese style orchids with waterfall effect that are not yet listed.  I'd also recommend perusing her other listings.

Set of two orchid hair flowers, £7 - RosieAlia designs



This 1920s sailor dress is simply incredible - if it fit me I'd snap it up in a second.

1920s sailor dress, £134, Vintage Runway



I'm always on the lookout for blouses and this 40s/50s number is divine.

1940s Orchid lace blouse, £18, HomeIdaho


Everyone loves a squaw dress, surely, and while this 50s set has a few issues it is a steal.

Squaw dress, £38, rockthatfrock


These shoes from FabGabs are a delight, look at the heel, the cut outs, the colour!

Shoes, £90, FabGabs


In terms of vintage inspired finds I love the Heyday Elizabeth dress in purple, £150 but aside from that there isn't a lot out there.



I'll admit I'm still not sold on purple, of any kind, but looking through the listings was jolly fun.

Do you like purple?  I'd love to hear about your favourite purple vintage items.

No comments:

Post a Comment